Best Chainsaw Sharpener Reviews for 2019 – Complete Buying Guide!
This is a tool, now it comes as a machine as well, that is used to sharpen the chain of a chainsaw machine. After cutting many logs or wood the chain of a chainsaw wears out and needs to sharpen the chain. It is just like your kitchen knife that gets blunt after using for many days. When the chain gets blunt the machine either takes longer time and much effort to cut which makes you tired. Unlike the kitchen cutting stuff, you cannot sharpen your chain at home. It needs a different type of tool because the chain is not smooth like the other cutting instruments. Among many, the best chainsaw sharpener is like a lifeline for a chainsaw device.
There are different types of tool you will get in the market for sharpening the chain of your chainsaw machine. Some of them include only a few small sharpening objects and the others come in the form of a small machine. You can use both the types to sharpen your chain. You will get different size and shape that will provide different facilities such as sharpening quickly, carrying facility, etc. When you work in a distant from your home you need to carry your sharpener as well.
There are many different companies who make chainsaw sharpener and recently they have come up with many wonderful inventions which are easily and comfortably used by the professionals around the world. In our website, you will get the best chainsaw sharpener reviews for your good knowledge.
Types of Chainsaw Sharpener
There are basically two types of chainsaw sharpeners that you will get in the market one of them is file chainsaw sharpener and the other is electric chainsaw sharpener.
- File Chainsaw Sharpener
- Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
This is a combination of few tools that you have to use manually. To hold the sharpener properly there are different kinds of frame you will get. These frames are easy to use and they give you proper sharpening experience. These tools are less in weight and you can easily take them to your workplace. If you are an occasional user this will be good for you as they cost less.
This type of sharpeners use electricity to run the machine. There is a disk that whirls to sharpen the blade. You need to remove the chain from the chainsaw and attach it on the sharpening machine. Set the blade properly and contact the blade with the whirling machine to get a quick result. These machines are heavier than the file machine and difficult to carry around. They take less time and give you sharper blade. For the professionals this is a good option.
Three Myths of Sharpening Your Chainsaw
When you will see that the chain of your chainsaw is getting dust it is the time to sharpen it. People use different instruments for sharpening chainsaws. Some use a file and some use electric chainsaw sharpener. If you are using a file than there are three key things that you must keep in mind. We call these three things as the three myths:
1st Myth: Most of us sharpen our chain when it really gets blunt or the chain gets dust too much. This is a wrong thing to do. The chain needs to sharpen before it gets too much blunt. The reason for this is that if it gets too much blunt than it takes much effort and time to sharpen. Besides, you are actually losing out from getting the proper cut on your wood. So sharpen your chain when you need it necessary, don’t wait for the chain getting blunt.
2nd Myth: If you look closely you will see that the chain has teeth and the blade of the teeth are actually slightly bent towards either left or right. If you are holding your file towards the same direction as the tooth you will get a good result. But if you hold the file towards the opposite direction you will actually get better result in less strokes. You need not same amount of strokes for each and every tooth. Give as many as strokes as necessary to remove the same amount of metal.
3rd Myth: You should always put the file in its case to get a proper hold and better result. On the chain tooth you will see there are two sides one is pointing away and the other is pointing towards us. Hold your file to the tooth that is towards us and try not to touch the other side while sharpening. Sometime you will see that the some of the teeth got blunter than the others. You need to take more care to them. Sharpen the metal if it came off on one side.
You must always the best chainsaw sharpener and wear gloves when sharpening your chainsaw.
Good Sides and Bad Sides of a Chainsaw Sharpener
Each and every machine that we use in our daily lives has some drawbacks along with its numerous benefits. Chainsaw sharpener is also not an exception in this matter. Before using a sharpener you should know properly about all its advantages and disadvantages.
- Chain of a chainsaw needs to sharpen on a regular basis as it gets blunt after a few uses.
- Without a sharpener it is quite impossible to sharpen the chain since the blades are not smooth like a normal knife.
- Sharpening prevents you from getting fatigue and gives you a better grip while cutting the logs.
- A sharp blade gives you much better cutting result than a blunt blade reducing your cutting time.
- The sharpening files you can take to your working place which can be far away from your house.
- A chainsaw sharpener can save your time and money as you don’t have to take your machine to the shop for sharpening.
- Chainsaw sharpeners are very easy to use and risk free.
- With an electric sharpener you can sharpen your chain nicely like a professional.
- An electric sharpener is larger in size which might be a little difficult carry around. It also runs on electricity and without electricity it is nothing.
- If you don’t know how to sharpen your chain properly than you might end up making your chain blunter.
- The sharpener is a machine and needs to be handled carefully. Otherwise it might cause you injury.
- Using a sharpening file might not give you as good result as an electric one.
Things to Consider while Buying a Chainsaw Sharpener
- You must see the sharpener’s grip. If you don’t have a firm grip on your sharpener than you will end up spoiling your chain.
- If you are not buying an electric sharpener than check that the file is strong and handy.
- For an electric sharpener you must see the disk whether it whirls properly. You should check that the disk contacts at the right place of your chain.
- If you want to carry your sharpener to distant places you must choose a tool that is lightweight.
- Before buying compare your chosen product with other products.
Best Chainsaw Sharpener
Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener with 3/16″ Carbide Cutter (for .325″ pitch chains) Review
This chainsaw sharpener can be used for almost all types of chains small, medium or large. This product gives you a good grip and very easy to use. You don’t need to remove your chain from the chainsaw to sharpen. It sharpens each of the tooth very quickly and gives you the same length and angle sharpness for every tooth.
The product is made by high quality machined aluminum which is durable. The size is very small and the weight is a little more than 1 pound which gives you a good carrying facility.
- Fast sharpens each and every tooth of your chain.
- Portable quality and small size for easy take-away.
- High quality machined aluminum for high durability.
- 1 pound weight.
- 3/16” carbide cutter.
Timber Tuff CS-BWM Benchtop / Wall Mount Electric Chain Saw Chain Sharpener Review
This is an electric chainsaw sharpener that has a wide range of customers worldwide. The professionals use this machine without any hesitation. If you need to sharpen your chain very often or have many chainsaws to sharpen than this is the right device for you. It has 110V/60 Hz motor with an input power of 230 watts and the motor speed is 3600 rpm. The see-through safety shield and 15 watt work light gives good visibility while working.
- 110V/60 Hz motor that has 3600 rpm speed.
- Sharpens chains from ¼” to ¾” easily and accurately.
- The user guide is easy-to-read and understand.
- For safety it uses thermo-overload protection.
- The product is quite durable.
- It has 1 year warranty.
VEVOR Saw Chain Grinder 1/8 and 3/16 Inch Electric Chainsaw Sharpener Bench Review
This is one of the best electric chainsaw sharpeners with what you can easily make your chain sharp. It has two grinding wheels that are 1/8” and 3/16” that can be used for different types of chains. This machine is made of cast aluminum with a reinforced hinge that has an extensive durability. The controls are quite easy to use and it has light and safety guard. For the professionals it can be a good investment as they need to sharpen chains very often.
- The supply voltage is 110V with motor input power 230W. The whirling speed of the disk is 3000 rpm.
- The grinding wheels’ sizes are 1/8 and 3/16 inch. The diameter of the wheels is 5-1/2 inch.
- Made of sturdy cast aluminum for better durability.
- The weight is 12.8 lbs.
- It is easy to control and it has safety guard features.
Oregon 410-120 Bench or Wall Mounted Saw Chain Grinder Review
This is another excellent quality chainsaw sharpener that runs on electricity. With this machine you will get three finest grinding wheels that you can use to sharpen your different types of chains. For your regular sharpening this machine can be a good help for the professionals. It has a built-in light with a dressing brick and a quick check grinding template. The money you will spend to get this device will be worth your investment.
- It has top plate and down angle setting.
- The machine has a dressing brick, a quick check grinding template and three grinding wheels.
- There is a built-in light for better view.
- It has a wheel wear indicator.
- It sharpens ¼”, 3/8” low profile and full profile chains.
- The weight is 17.4v pounds.
Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener Review
This is a lightweight electric chainsaw sharpener for using at your home and outdoor. For sharpening your own saw this is a good grinder. If you compare this machine with other electric sharpeners you will notice that the wheel speed is quite high, 4200 rpm. For fine edge of a chainsaw this one is quite promising. The weight is only 7 pounds that lets you carry around the device easily and comfortably.
- The 60Hz, 45 watt motor plugs into a standard 120V wall outlet.
- The machine uses a 4-1/4-Inch x 1/8-Inch grinding wheel with 7/8-Inch arbor.
- Most popular chain designs are easily adjusted.
- The weight is only 7 pounds.
- The color you will get is red.
- There is a 90 days warranty from the date of your purchase.
It’s not the time to run around the hardware stores to sharpen your chain. Now you can easily do it at you home without any risk. A chainsaw sharpener will always save your money and give you a better cutting experience. We all know how can a dull or blunt chain be dangerous and bring fatigue to you. To get along with the time you also should do these small tasks of sharpening chain at home only.
No matter what type of sharpener you use it will always save your valuable time that you would waste in going to the store. You need to understand the nature of your work and decide what sharpener you want to use, file chainsaw sharpener or electric chainsaw sharpener. Most of the machines will give you warranties to secure your investment. If you buy the best chainsaw sharpener you don’t have to worry for a couple of years.